Are your lips sensitive ? You may have tried many things but they might not be suitable for sensitive lips. Here you will learn how you can make lip balm for sensitive lips at home.
This simple homemade lip balm for sensitive lips is made from all the natural ingredients. These ingredients are soothing and moisturizing in nature and treats dry lips.
Before starting with the recipe Let’s know something about lip sensitivity.
What Is Lip Sensitivity ?
If you have lip sensitivity then you might not be able to use many things on your lips. Whenever you apply anything it causes irritation and you just feel like removing it immediately.
Some common symptoms are lips dryness, inflammation, burning sensation, itching, irritation, cracked lips, mild pain or even sometimes rashes around mouth.
People with sensitive lips should be very specific about any lip product simply because not everything suits sensitive lips. Also lips being one of the most sensitive part of our body they have many chances of allergies and side effects.
The skin of our lips is very thin and does not have any oil gland. So, always use natural, moisturizing and soothing ingredients for your lips. Try to avoid products filled with tons of chemicals and artificial fragrances for your lips.
What Causes Lip Sensitivity ?
So below are some of the most commons reasons that can cause lip sensitivity :
- Viral infection
- Cold and cough
- Cold or very dry weather
- Frequent licking or biting of lips
- When your nose is blocked and you use your mouth to breathe
- Vitamin deficiency
- Sun damage
- Harmful chemicals and artificial fragrances etc.
So, now you know what is lip sensitivity and some common reasons that can cause lip sensitivity. Let’s start this simple recipe to make lip balm for sensitive lips at home.
- Mango Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Beeswax – 2 tablespoon
- Jojoba oil – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla essential oil – 8 drops
- To make this lip balm you need to melt the butter and wax
- Using double boiling method melt mango butter and beeswax
- Stir using a spoon in between and remove the bowl from heat after melting them
- Then jojoba oil and essential oil and mix
- Transfer the liquid to a clean container or lip balm tube
- Let the lip balm set for few hours.
So, your natural homemade lip balm for sensitive lips is all ready to use. As this lip balm recipe is specially for sensitive lips, but it is not a rule of thumb it can also be used by anyone who don’t have lip sensitivity.
Let’s know why this lip balm is good for sensitive lips and why I choose these simple and natural ingredients.
Benefits Of Mango Butter For lips :
- Mango butter is an amazing source of vitamin C, which fights with free radicals and protect lips from environmental damage
- It is rich in omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids and other healthy fats. Helps to nourish your lips deeply
- Mango butter is lightweight, creamy and fluffy in nature, so it does not make your lips feel greasy and absorbs quickly
- It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which helps to treat cracked lips, inflammation, burns, soothes irritated lips and prevent any bacterial growth
- Mango butter is also a very good source of vitamin A and E, these helps to lock moisture in your lips and make your lips soft and supple
- It is also a fragrance free butter so if you don’t like nutty fragrance of butters you will love this.
Benefits of Beeswax For Lips :
- Beeswax is a non-toxic wax and also it one of mostly used wax for making lip balm
- It comes with moisturizing properties, which helps to moisturize your lips
- Beeswax forms a protective layer on your lips without clogging pores
- It prevents lip chapping, dryness, irritation and itching
- Beeswax is very gentle in nature, so it is best for sensitive lips
- It also helps to hydrate your lips and makes them soft, supple and plumpy naturally.
What other waxes that you can use ?
Candelilla wax, berry wax, myrica wax etc.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil For Lips :
- Jojoba oil is a non-greasy oil and very light and fast absorbing in nature
- It is a natural humectant, which helps to retain moisture in your lips and also keep them hydrated
- Jojoba oil has anti-bacterial properties that helps to protect your lips from bacterial growth
- It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Helps to reduce hyperpigmentation and brings out new skin cells
- Jojoba oil creates a natural shield on your lips and protect your lips from sun burn and environmental damage
- Helps to reduce inflammation, redness, itchiness, irritated and chapping of lips.
Benefits Of Vanilla Essential Oil For Lips :
- Vanilla essential oil is rich source of vitamin C and E. It helps to nourish your lips, reduces pigmentation and retains moisture in your lips
- It is a very gentle and soothing oil, which helps to calm irritated, cracked and dry lips
- Adds a nice, light and natural fragrance to the lip balm.
What Are Some Essential Oil To Avoid For Sensitive Lips :
Although essential oils are great for your lips, skin and hair. As they provide many benefits and gives a natural fragrance. If your lips are sensitive then there few oils that you should try to avoid. These oils are though very good but they may irritate your lips.
These oils are :
Final Thoughts :
So, this homemade lip balm will help to soothe sensitive lips in a natural way. Also this lip balm can be used in both summer and winter season because this recipe does uses any heavy butters and oils.
You can store this lip balm for 4-5 months easily. This won’t go bad as there is no water used in it. I also have some other lip balm recipes that you can check out.