Do you want to know how you can use kiwi peels ? If yes, then here is a list of 7 wonderful ways to use the peel of a kiwi fruit.
Many of us throw the peel of kiwi right away without even thinking once. This happens due to it’s unpleasant hairy texture. As kiwi is very nutritious the same way it’s skin is also very high in nutrition.
Also the hairy texture of kiwi peel varies according to the variety of kiwi. The green kiwi has more hairy texture whereas golden and yellow kiwi has less hairs and are more smooth in texture.
So, Kiwi peel can be used in many different ways and it is offers many health benefits too. Before knowing the ways to use it firstly let’s know
Amazing Benefits of Kiwi Peels :
- Rich in antioxidants : Kiwi peels are power house of antioxidants, the peels even contain antioxidants more than the kiwi flesh. Antioxidants helps to fight with free radicals, boost immunity, makes skin healthy etc.
- Fiber : Kiwi peels are rich in fiber, which helps to improve digestion, reduce constipation and regulates bowel movements. Fiber rich diet also helps to make you feel fuller for longer time.
- Folate : Kiwi skin also has folate, which is important for the formation of red blood cells. Folate is also important for cell growth and their function.
- Vitamin E and C : Kiwi peels are great source of vitamin E and C. Which helps to boost immunity, provides many skin and hair benefits.
- Prebiotic : Peels of kiwi provides prebiotic benefits too. Which helps to improve good bacteria in your stomach and thus improves digestion.
Now you know why it is so good to keep the kiwi peels and use it. Now let’s know
7 Amazing Ways to Use Kiwi Peels :
1. Eat it :
The best and most easy way if you do not want to throw the peels, is to directly eat it. It is completely safe to eat the peels of kiwi. When you eat the kiwi along with it’s outer skin you get all the amazing benefits of it’s skin.
If you want to eat kiwi along with the peel then it is best to choose yellow or golden kiwi. Then wash them properly to get a more smooth texture.
You can cut thin slices of kiwi instead of big chunks to easily eat the peel without feeling the texture much.
2. Add To Smoothies or Juice:
If you are not able to eat it directly but still wants to get all it’s benefits. Then the simple way is to add kiwi along with peel in your smoothies and juice.
You can wash the kiwi properly and dry it using towel, rub it a little to get smooth texture. Cut the kiwi in small pieces and add them to your smoothie or juice.
3. Use It On Your Face :
As Kiwi peels are rich source of vitamin C and E. You can apply kiwi peel on your face. Simply rub kiwi peels on your face in circular motion on a clean face.
Vitamin C helps to fight with free radicals, reduces wrinkles, fine lines. It also helps to reduce dark spots and makes your skin clear, healthy and glowing.
Vitamin E helps to moisturize your skin, prevents dry skin, helps to treat sunburn and makes your skin healthy.
4. Natural Exfoliator :
As the kiwi peel is naturally hairy in texture. It works great as an exfoliator. Simply wash and peel kiwi. Crush the kiwi peels using a pestle and mortar.
You also add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in crushed kiwi peels and mix. Your diy antioxidant rich kiwi peel scrub is ready.
Scrub it on your body in circular motion for 2-3 minutes and then wash with plain water. This scrub will help to remove dead skin cells by gently exfoliating your skin. Also it will make your skin smooth and glowing.
You can also check out these 5 easy instant sugar scrubs for glowing and healthy skin.
5. Use It On lips :
Kiwi peels being rich in antioxidants and vitamins, are healthy for your lips too. You can rub kiwi peels on your lips. It helps to reduce sore lips, makes them moisturized and supple naturally.
If you like to use lip scrubs then you can also use the kiwi peel scrubs on your lips. Simply rub the kiwi peel scrub on your lips in circular motion and then wash. It will remove dead chapped skin on lips and makes them soft.
6. Make Dry Powder :
Whenever you are using kiwi in large batches and have lots of peels. Then the best thing you can is to dry the peels and grind them to a powder. Also you can dry the peels every time you use kiwi and collect them to make the powder at once.
You can sun dry the peels, use dehydrator or even oven to dry the peels. Then grind them and strain through a fine sieve to get a fine and smooth kiwi peel powder.
I really enjoy making and using fruit powders as these are so versatile and can be used in so many ways. Following are some ways that you can use this kiwi peel powder
- Add the powder to your smoothie or juice
- Sprinkle on your breakfast cereal or oats
- Add to your salads
- You can add the powder to your homemade cookies or breads
- Add in your yogurt to enhance flavour
- Sprinkle over your ice creams, puddings and deserts
- Add the kiwi peel powder to your homemade face masks etc.
7. Make Natural Cleaner :
If you are a natural lifestyle lover then you probably use natural cleaning products. Citrus cleaners are the best for non-toxic cleaning at home.
I usually collect different types of citrus peels like lemons, lime, oranges, kiwi and grapefruit to make the cleaner. I also like to add some essential oils and natural herbs like rosemary to add more fragrance and benefits.
You can use this citrus peel cleaner to clean glasses, kitchen counter top or for any other regular cleaning purpose.
( P.S. Also see this homemade natural all purpose cleaner recipe. )
So let’s see how you can make citrus peel cleaner at home.
- White vinegar – 1 cup
- A bunch of citrus peels ( kiwi, lemon, oranges etc. )
- Few herbs ( thyme, rosemary or sage etc. ) – optional
- Essential oil ( like eucalyptus, tea tree etc. ) – 7-8 drops
- A clean spray bottle
- In a bottle add all the ingredients peels, herbs and essential oil
- Pour over vinegar
- Add some water to fill the rest of the bottle
- Keep the bottle in clean place and let it infuse for 5-6 days
- Then strain it
Your homemade citrus peel natural cleaner is ready.
FINAL THOUGHTS :
So, above are some simple and wonderful ways to use the kiwi peels. Using these ways you can get all the amazing benefits of kiwi peels without wasting it.