Here you will learn how you can make calcium powder at home. This homemade calcium powder is free from any animal ingredient.
That is why it is completely fine to use if you are vegan or vegetarian. Almost everyone of us have heard that dairy products are the best sources of calcium, yes they are
But there is another truth also that many of the fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds are good sources of calcium.
So, if you are vegan this homemade calcium powder will help you to add to your daily calcium need. Also if you are only vegetarian you can consume this calcium powder as a natural calcium supplement
Before getting to the recipe let’s discuss some amazing things about calcium.
BENEFITS OF CALCIUM FOR YOUR BODY :
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in our body. It is the building block, which helps to maintain our bones. Know why it is so essential to meet the daily calcium requirement.
1. Calcium helps to build and maintain bones and teeth. Makes them healthy and strong
2. Helps in blood clotting
3. Protects your heart muscles and maintain pressure in arteries
4. Helps to regulate enzymes and transport nutrients
5. It helps your muscles and nerves to function properly
6. Helps to balance pH levels in your body etc.
HOW MUCH CALCIUM YOU NEED DAILY ?
According to some studies if your age is between 19-50 your body needs minimum 800-1000 mg calcium. After the age of 50 the minimum requirement rises to minimum 1200 mg.
The daily calcium should not exceed 2500 mg for people of age 19-50 and 2000 mg for the people age above 50.
So, now you know why calcium is so important for your body and how much daily calcium your body needs. Let’s get to the recipe.
HOW TO MAKE CALCIUM POWDER AT HOME :
- Fox nuts – 200 grams
- Sesame seeds – 50 grams
- Almonds – 150 grams
- Dry figs powder – 50 grams
- Chia seeds – 50 grams
- Flax seeds – 50 grams
How To Make :
- Use a flat pan and add fox nuts, dry roast them on low heat for 1-2 minutes to release moisture from them
- Using the same method to dry roast almonds for 1-2 mintues
- Then dry roast sesame seeds, chia seeds and flax seeds, separately for 1-2 minutes
- Let all the ingredients cool at room temperature
- Then add all ingredients in a grinding jar
- Grind them to make semi fine powder. ( Do not grind for long time, otherwise almonds and seeds will start releasing oils )
- Add this homemade calcium powder to a clean and dry container.
Your homemade calcium powder is ready.
HOW TO USE THIS CALCIUM POWDER :
For Vegans :
- Add 2 tbsp of homemade calcium powder to your plant based milk
- If you consume almond milk, then you can skip almonds from the recipe
- You can blend the powder along with your milk to make sure everything is mixed nicely without the lumps.
For Vegetarians :
- Add 2 tbsp of this calcium powder to your milk and blend it.
You only need to take 2 tbsp of this calcium powder a day. If consume milk twice a day then add only 1 tbsp each time.
This is how you can make and use your homemade calcium powder. Now let’s discuss how much calcium comes with the ingredients used in this recipe.
CALCIUM PER 100 GRAM :
- Fox nuts – 60 mg
- Sesame seeds – 975 mg
- Almonds – 265 mg
- Dry figs – 162 mg
- Chia seeds – 630 mg
- Flax seeds – 255 mg
HOW TO ABSORB CALICUM BETTER ?
It is important to meet your daily calcium requirement but not all the calcium we take is absorbed by our body. Vitamin D helps to absorb calcium better.
So, make sure to get in sunlight for at least 10 minutes or you can also take vitamin D supplements for better calcium absorption.
Also make sure to add green leafy vegetables to your daily diet as these are also rich source of calcium.
FINAL THOUGHTS :
This homemade calcium powder is a great natural calcium supplement. Ingredients used in this powder are not only rich in calcium but comes with many other nutrients like iron, magnesium, fiber, healthy fats etc.
You can consume this powder on daily basis to get so many health benefits. Simply because all the ingredients are filled with many other health benefits.