In this article you will learn top 8 health benefits of potatoes & why you should add potato in your diet. You will also learn benefits of potatoes for skin and hair.
Potato is loved by almost everyone because of it’s wonderful taste and it can be consumed in variety of ways.
Though eating it very often can be bad for your health and can lead to weight gain if you already have excess weight.
But if you eat it in moderate amount ( one medium sized potato in a day ), there are many health benefits of potato.
Potato is the member of Solanaceae family. There are more than 3000 varieties of potatoes available through out the world. There are some varieties of potatoes whose skin is edible and has lots of nutrients and fiber in it. Potato is one of the world’s most cultivated vegetable.
Let’s learn it’s amazing benefits
RICH IN FIBER :
Potato is a very good source of dietary fiber and it includes both type of fiber which is soluble and insoluble fiber.
Fiber present in potatoes helps to improve digestion by maintaining bowel regularity, easy passing of stools through intestine and preventing constipation.
Having fiber rich food also helps to make you feel fuller for the longer time and prevents you from consuming extra calories.
HIGH IN NUTRITION :
Potato is a very healthy vegetable as it is filled with lots of nutrients, vitamins, minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, copper, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamin A, C, B1, B2, B5, B6, E, K etc. These all are essential for our body.
HELPS TO GAIN WEIGHT :
If you want to gain weight then potatoes are the best as they are rich in carbohydrates which helps to gain weight, you can simply add potatoes by baking them or roasting them on charcoal in your daily weight gain diet.
GOOD FOR BRAIN :
Our brain needs proper amount of oxygen to function properly. Potatoes helps to maintain brain health as they are rich in iron which helps in transporting oxygen properly to different parts of the body including brain.
Potatoes also contains other essential vitamins and minerals that helps in preventing many neurological disorders.
SKIN CARE :
Potatoes are very beneficial for maintaining skin health as they contain essential vitamins and minerals important for our skin health such as magnesium, zinc, vitamin E, C
These help to provide nourishment to skin, fight with free radicals that causes ageing. It also helps to reduce puffiness and dark circles around eyes.
HOW TO USE POTATO FOR DARK CIRCLES :
- Peel one potato and wash it properly
- Cut thin slices of potato
- Place them in refrigerator for 5 minutes
- Place potato slices on eyes for 8-10 minutes
- Wash your face
- This will help you to get rid of dark circles fast.
HAIR HEALTH :
Potato is a super vegetable for improving your hair health. It has vitamin E and other essential nutrients such as iron, zinc etc.
Applying juice of potato on your hair scalp helps to reduce hair fall, prevents premature greying of hair, makes your hair shiny, glossy and encourages hair growth.
HOW TO USE POTATO FOR HAIR :
- Peel and wash one potato
- Grate the potato or you can make its puree
- Squeeze the grated or pureed potato to take out its juice, using a sieve
- Apply this juice on your hair scalp properly
- Keep for 7-8 minutes
- Wash your hair with water
- This will help your hair to reduce hair fall and makes them soft.
PROVIDES ENERGY :
Consuming potatoes helps to provide you energy as they contain good amount of carbohydrates which converts into fuel to provide you energy. You can eat potatoes in a moderate amount after your hard workouts to get instant energy.
PREVENTS SCURVY :
Scurvy is a condition in which deficiency of vitamin C occurs which can lead to fatigue, fever, nausea, pain in joints etc. Potatoes are rich in vitamin C which helps to prevent scurvy.
SIDE EFFECTS OF EXCESS INTAKE :
- If you want to loose weight you can add potatoes in your diet as they are high in fiber which helps to make you feel fuller but in moderate amount because eating potatoes frequently can lead to weight gain as they are good source of carbohydrates.
- Excess consumption of potatoes may increase blood pressure
- It may upset your stomach
- Starch on potatoes can lead to skin allergy such as rashes, itching and redness when it comes into contact with skin.
If you like this post, Don’t hesitate to save it or pin it.